Thursday, April 4, 2024

April 2024: Another flower

 

Yes, another flower photo. :)

It is spring here in MI, and while that means the weather is warmer it also means a lot of gray skies. It gets tedious and depressing, so I like to keep colorful imagery up to look at in order to provide some cheer and warmth.  Flowers are a good way of doing that.

Having a nice bunch of flowers in your house is a lot like having a cake in the house.  There isn't a rule that says it has to be a special occasion.  You can just do it whenever you want! 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really awkward lighting and saturation. It shouldn't work, but it does. You are, and I hope you don't take offense at this, unconventional in your work. Yet your images are often very captivating. This one in particular is puzzling.

Jonderson said...

No offense taken! :)
I get what you mean though. The lighting is natural, the sun was very low in the sky and coming directly through the window onto the flower. Lowering the saturation and/or contrast caused an unacceptable loss of texture in the tablecloth, which in turn makes the image lose a lot of depth. I could have digitally manipulated it using layers to get a composite image with the best of all worlds of course, but I tend to avoid doing that unless it is absolutely necessary. And since this was just a shot for fun and not for a paying customer it was not at all necessary. :)
Unconventional is my middle name, btw. I am wholly self-taught, although I did take one intro photography class after I had been doing this for several years just because it gave me free access to a darkroom. So yes, my approaches and techniques are very much unconventional as a result. Glad you like the results though, and thanks for the comment!

Jonderson said...

I thought I would add one other thing about this photo that I always get asked:
Why didn't I pull the creases out of the tablecloth?
The answer is that removing them would have made for a much less interesting photo, but leaving the creases there adds depth and texture, reinforcing the lines of the image, and are ultimately the only thing which makes this a worthwhile image.