Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Photo Challenge Entry #21 Hard Head

Well last night was a full moon as well as the beginning of summer.  So to mark the occasion I thought I would do this very moon-like shot of another one of Curt Warmbier's concrete sculptures.  This is a life-sized skull, designed as a garden decoration.  I haven't had the heart to put it outside though, as it is just too attractive.  So it sits in my office on a shelf there where I can see it every day, even in the winter.

For those of you who do photography, single-source lighting in the studio kind of breaks the rules, but for skulls it can work really well.  Besides, it is photography...they are really more like what you'd call guidelines than actual rules. :)

2 comments:

-K- said...

I can understand keeping it indoors but I imagine it would gather some additional character after it been exposed to the elements, especially in your part of the world.

Jonderson said...

Very true. The place I bought it (Warmbier Farms) has thousands of concrete sculptures which are outside year round. They are designed to be outside year round, and to last for decades, if not longer. To see one skull half-sunk into the ground, a little dirty, and maybe with a little moss growing on it is really striking, almost morbid. To see a few dozen skulls like that all within 20 feet of each other is nothing short of a comically macabre spectacle! When I got mine home I had not decided on a place to put it outside, and while thinking about it I began cleaning it up. The more I cleaned it, the more details I uncovered and the more I began to see and appreciate what a really nice scuplture it is. I just can't bring myself to let it get covered up again. So next time I go up there I will probably buy another one (or two) to put outside, but I think this one is going to stay indoors.